Monday, April 12, 2010

Under Great White Northern Lights

I've done it. Ive watched one of the best documentaries about one of the best bands to come out of the 00's. While The White Stripes may sit in a very unfortunate second place in my list of favorite bands, it is certainly a close second. Everyone may not be a fan and everyone might not agree with my saying that they're among the best ever but no one can deny that they created music that certainly wasn't like anything I'd ever heard before. The drums aren't always in sync. The guitar isn't always in tune. Jacks voice isn't always perfect. The good news: none of those things matter. If anything, all of that adds that little bit of nastiness that the band uses to melt faces.

I think my favorite thing about the movie is the exchanges between Jack and Meg (or lack thereof). They are the definition of 'polar opposite'. Jack is outgoing, charismatic and just plain loud. Meg is shy, reserved and just plain quiet. Its easy to see how one of the rumors is that they are brother and sister because that's exactly how they act.

The live performances should be (and are) reason enough for you to watch this movie. I would argue that they are some of the best versions of the songs. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The White Stripes are better live. I'm not saying their albums aren't good but, compared to their live performances, their albums aren't good. :)

Basically, what I'm getting at here is this: if you're a White Stripes fan you need to see this movie. If you aren't a White Stripes fan you need to see this movie. If you're breathing right now you need to see this movie.

"...but when it comes to the music, thats not pre-meditated at all. The music is really completely in charge of us."

No comments: