Wednesday, February 18, 2009

While I'm here...

Sufjan Stevens is a bit of an enigma.

He makes a lot of music in a lot of different ways. Now dont get me wrong thats not a bad thing by any means, it just presents the opportunity for some people to be turned away.

"Enjoy Your Rabbit" is a perfect example of this. I, being accustomed to his other ablums (Illinois, Seven Swans, etc.), kind of wrinkled my nose at his album full of nothing but electronic beats and strange noises. Now thats not to say its a bad album. Its the album he wanted to make and he made it and that I respect, and Im sure there are people out there who think its his best work, its just not for everyone. Then again, since when is Sufjan (period), for everone? I will say his new song (the Castanets "You are the Blood" cover) on the "Dark Was the Night" compilation is a good example of electronic Sufjan that I happen to enjoy.

I guess all Im saying is, I love Sufjan and do not love "Enjoy Your Rabbit" (sorry world).

This is the Sufjan I love:

5 comments:

Tabitha said...

soo, not going to lie. I had no idea Sufjan was such a typical looking "dude". Surprised.

Joel Haubenreich said...

true. he is beautiful.

also, kurtis, quit being a hoser and set your comments to pop out.

Kurtis said...

holy pop ups batman!
see joel, i didnt even know you could do that...you sir just taught me something.

rcpeck said...

Joel will be teaching you plenty of things about blogging in the form of yelling and insults.

Joel Haubenreich said...

every teacher has his way...

also it gives me an edge. when your blog becomes more popular than mine, i can at least say things like, "well, sure, but he never would have gotten there without me in the beginning!"